Thursday 19 September 2013

Intolerance, Ignorance or Idiocy?

This is always a tricky question when it comes to our local Tories, I can't work out which it is, maybe it's all three.

Following the tabloid campaign to ban Muslim women from wearing religious vestments in certain public places, our local deputy leader had this to say:


I assume that when she says "gave" she actually means "have", but spelling aside, this is not a particularly sound viewpoint in my opinion.

I fail to see the similarity between a veil and a motorcycle helmet, the two are definitely not interchangeable as far as I can see. Unless of course there is a new religion that I am unaware of, or someone has developed a material that veils can be produced from which would guard against impact. The latter would certainly be useful to some who have had interaction with the more ignorant in our society who feel that a woman in religious vestments is a viable target for physical violence.

What about nuns, it's pretty difficult to tell them apart, and vicars, and Hare Krishna devotees, shall we ban them as well?  What about police officers, they all look pretty similar too, especially when they forget to wear their collar numbers, which seem to fall off quite frequently.

I personally am a big fan of all or nothing, if we ban one form of dress then let's ban all of them, we'll go back to everyone fashioning clothes from fur and animal skins, that will make us a far more civilised society.

Although it would be best not to ban motorcycle helmets as they are pretty useful, so much so that I'm thinking of making them compulsory in my new religion.

Remember to vote next time, by failing to do so, you only ensure the continuation of this madness.

ATAB
K